Recipe by tmiufps
I got this recipe for Eating Well Magazine and it ROCKS! We used smoked turkey once and that has more taste but its not as good for you. Freezes nicely too. And its QUICK
Top Review by Chef Zephyr
This is one of my favorite chicken soup recipes. I use regular wild rice & cook a batch & freeze it for this soup. The mushrooms, I feel, are a must! It is quick & yummy on a rainy work day. I make this often in the winter & everyone is happy.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms (optional)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup chopped carrot
- 1⁄4 cup shallot
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup quick-cooking wild rice
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey or 3 cups cooked chicken
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms, celery, carrots and shallots. Cook, stirring until softened, about 5 minutes. Add flour, salt and pepper and cook, stirring for an additional 2 minute.
- Add broth and bring to a boil, scrapping up any browned bits. Add rice and reduce heat to a simmer. Cover and cook until rice is tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Stir in meat, sour cream and parsley. Cook until heated through, 2 to 5 minutes.