Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Made this with the left over turkey carcass this year...loved it! Got recipe from Cook's Country.
Make and share this Creamy Turkey and Wild Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- for the turkey broth
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1 smoked turkey or 1 chicken carcass, cut into 4 pieces
- 3 cups white wine
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth
- for the soup
- 1 cup wild rice
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3 cups cooked turkey, chopped
- salt and pepper
- For the turkey broth.
- Melt butter in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Cook onions, celery and turkey carcass until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add wine and chicken broth and simmer over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Strain broth, discarding solids.
- For the soup.
- Wipe out Dutch oven and toast rice over medium heat until rice begins to pop, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in turkey broth, carrots, thyme and baking soda and bring to boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until rice is tender, about 1 hour.
- Whisk flour and cream in bowl until smooth. Slowly whisk flour mixture into soup. Add turkey and simmer until soup is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve.