Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
An adopted recipe given a facelift. Serves 4 for a light lunch with a side salad, or 2 to 3 for supper.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil or 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 (170 g) can albacore tuna, flaked (undrained weight)
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 stalk broccoli floret, diced
- 2 bagels, sliced in half
- 1 cup cheddar cheese or 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Place broiler rack in position under broiler and turn on broiler.
- Saute garlic,celery and onion in a small amount of oil or butter in a skillet. Cook until onion is just tender.
- Drain tuna and add to skillet along with ricotta cheese, broccoli, mayonnaise, and lemon juice. Cook long enough to warm ingredients through, perhaps 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- If you like your bagels to be a bit toasted, place them under broiler while tuna mixture is warming up.
- Place bagel halves, split side up, in baking dish. Spread tuna mixture over top covering all and sprinkle cheese over top of mixture.
- Broil 2 or 3 minutes, until cheese melts.
- Serve at once.
- Broil 3 to 4 inches from the heat until the cheddar melts, about 5 minutes.
Very good light lunch. Modified slightly, left out ricotta cheese & brocolli and used toast not bagels.