Prep 2 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy, delicious vegetarian tomato soup. I have another tomato soup recipe - a copycat - which uses an insane amount of cream. This is a healthier alternative. You'll notice that the tomato sauce and paste in particular are weird measurements. That is because this recipe is very friendly to use leftovers with. I always have two-thirds of a can of tomato paste leftover from another recipe. The same is often the case with my homemade tomato sauce (recipe forthcoming). So you can vary the amounts of these two ingredients based on what you have in your fridge. If you want to make this vegan, substitute either silken tofu or soymilk for the sour cream. And obviously don't use the optional cheese. Lastly, if you substitute tomato juice for the vegetable stock, this becomes Quadruple Tomato Soup.
- 14.79 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 118.29 ml tomato paste
- 236.59 ml tomato sauce (i use my own homemade, but a can will work in a pinch)
- 793.78 g can tomatoes (crushed, stewed or diced, NOT sauce or whole)
- 709.77 ml vegetable stock
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 14.79 ml dried basil (optional, use if using canned sauce or no basil in larger can of tomatoes)
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml shredded pecorino romano cheese (optional)
- In a 3 quart or larger pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the garlic until fragrant but not browned.
- Stir in the tomato paste and brown the tomato paste in the pot for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, 28 ounce can of tomatoes, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and basil (if using). Cover and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer, loosely covered, at least a half an hour, but longer is better, up to an hour.
- Turn off the heat. Whisk a little bit of the hot soup into the sour cream to create a smooth creamy base which you will then stir into the pot of soup.
- Serve, topped with a little pecorino romano, if desired.
Pretty much followed your recipe on down, although I didn't include the cheese at the end! Also I did use a small amount of salt along with some lemon pepper in place of the pepper indicated! Definitely a great tasting tomato soup, for sure, & a recipe worth keeping, too! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in the current Think Pink Special]