"Pink Eyed" Jim Cortina's Note:
This is an easy, delicious vegetarian tomato soup. I have another tomato soup recipe - a copycat - which uses an insane amount of cream. This is a healthier alternative. You'll notice that the tomato sauce and paste in particular are weird measurements. That is because this recipe is very friendly to use leftovers with. I always have two-thirds of a can of tomato paste leftover from another recipe. The same is often the case with my homemade tomato sauce (recipe forthcoming). So you can vary the amounts of these two ingredients based on what you have in your fridge. If you want to make this vegan, substitute either silken tofu or soymilk for the sour cream. And obviously don't use the optional cheese. Lastly, if you substitute tomato juice for the vegetable stock, this becomes Quadruple Tomato Soup.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup tomato sauce (i use my own homemade, but a can will work in a pinch)
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomatoes (crushed, stewed or diced, NOT sauce or whole)
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- pepper, to taste
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon dried basil (optional, use if using canned sauce or no basil in larger can of tomatoes)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup shredded pecorino romano cheese (optional)
- 1In a 3 quart or larger pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat and saute the garlic until fragrant but not browned.
- 2Stir in the tomato paste and brown the tomato paste in the pot for 2-3 minutes, stirring every 30 seconds or so.
- 3Stir in the tomato sauce, 28 ounce can of tomatoes, vegetable stock, salt, pepper, bay leaf, and basil (if using). Cover and bring to a simmer.
- 4Simmer, loosely covered, at least a half an hour, but longer is better, up to an hour.
- 5Turn off the heat. Whisk a little bit of the hot soup into the sour cream to create a smooth creamy base which you will then stir into the pot of soup.
- 6Serve, topped with a little pecorino romano, if desired.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Triple Tomato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (142 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 111.1
- Calories from Fat 69
- Total Fat 7.7 g
- Saturated Fat 3.6 g
- Cholesterol 14.9 mg
- Sodium 318.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: