Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
I came up with this after reading a tip from a can of refried beans. I first made my chicken version and then thought it would be great with black beans instead of the meat. So easy to put together and a delicious soup.
- 2 (822.13 g) can Rotel tomatoes & chilies
- 2 (822.13 g) can vegetable broth
- 453.59 g can vegetarian refried beans
- 453.59 g can black beans, drained
- 118.29 ml corn (fresh, frozen or canned)
- 9.85 ml fresh cilantro, chopped
- corn tortilla strips or chips
- shredded monterey jack cheese
- Combine tomatoes, broth, beans and corn in medium saucepan. Stir together and bring to a boil. Reduce and bring to a simmer till heated through. Turn off heat and stir in the cilantro. Top each bowl of soup with cheese and crushed tortilla chips. (I use up the crushed chips from the bottom of the bag.).
An excellent quick and easy meal! Did I mention excellent? Extremely tasty and gets even better as it sits and flavors blend. I ate 4 bowls, and now logged in to make my first review (ever) for this one! The only thing I added, since I'm a spicy lover, was adding some Thai hot sauce in the bowl. Will try doubling the refried beans next time for experiments sake. Thank you!
This soup is fantastic - I can't believe it's so easy! We like the taste and texture best with 2 cans of refried beans instead of just the one. Done in a crock pot, it's a an easy, fuss-free meal we all love. Besides garnishing with chips and cilantro (Daughter doesn't like it so I don't stir it in), we also add chopped avocado to our bowls.
This is a great soup, made even better by the fact that you can have a very large bowl and feel no guilt. :o) I noticed that the refried beans weren't included in the nutritional information, but by my calculations, the calories still come out at only 167 per serving.
I made the recipe as is except for adding some cayenne pepper and subbing white hominy for the corn. Delicious and so easy!