Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a simple, savory one-pot meal! I serve it with a green salad and broccoli.
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry tortellini
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 (6 ounce) cans crabmeat, drained
- fresh ground pepper
- additional shredded parmesan cheese
- Bring chicken broth, minced garlic and basil to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add tortellini and continue to boil for 10-12 minutes, or until most of the broth is absorbed.
- Stir occasionally.
- Do not drain pasta!
- Add the half & half and simmer until most of the half & half is absorbed, about another 5 minutes.
- Stir frequently so the pasta doesn't scorch.
- Add the parmesan cheese and stir until it is melted and coats the tortellini.
- Add the crab meat and stir gently to mix.
- Top with freshly ground pepper and shredded parmesan to taste.
Very good! Better than a restaurant :) and soo easy!
I'm not sure I should review this as I made several substitutions: canned shrimp instead of crab,cream of shrimp soup instead of 1/2 and 1/2 cream. Taking that into consideration, this was very good. Liked the flavors and ease of preperation. Thanks ClareVH.
What a great recipe and good way to cook that cardboard-like dry package tortellini! This “risotto” method enriched the tortellini flavor. I substituted veggie broth for chicken, dry Italian spice for fresh basil, and cooked crab for canned and added frozen peas (before the parmesan cheese) and a squeeze of lemon with great results. The prep time makes this recipe a keeper for after-work dinner preparation. Grocery bag to dinner table in 30 minutes.