Prep 20 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Everyday with Rachael Ray. This is made in a crock pot! YUM.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 -3 small garlic cloves, smashed and peeled
- 1 (32 ounce) container vegetable broth (4 cups)
- 2 (28 ounce) cans Italian plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup vodka
- 6 sprigs flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 cups half-and-half
- In a medium skillet, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring often, for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, vodka, parsley, salt and sugar to the slow cooker; add the sautéed onions and garlic.
- Cover and cook on high heat to stew the tomatoes, 5 hours. Discard the parsley sprigs.
- Using an immersion blender or a food processor, puree the soup in batches (be careful—the liquid is hot).
- Stir in the half-and-half. Cook in the covered slow cooker on low heat until heated through, 20 to 30 minutes.