Recipe by Impera_Magna
An easy, delicious tomato soup without the fancy price of the "gourmet" soup to be found on the grocery shelf. From the "Desperation Dinners" ladies: Beverly Mills & Alicia Ross... one of my favorite columns in the (Raleigh NC) News & Observer.
Top Review by LonghornMama
Yummy, quick, and healthy. I don't buy canned soups, and wonder why anyone would when you can whip this up so quickly. Pureed with a hand blender and served with grilled cheese, making the kids very happy for dinner. Would prefer the Parmesan sprinkled on top, it doesn't melt well, and changes the texture a bit. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (for about 1/2 c chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic (bottled minced)
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with basil oregano and garlic (see Note)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup milk or 1 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese (grated or shredded)
- croutons, plain (optional) or garlic (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in 4 1/2 qt Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat.
- Peel and chop onion and add to pot, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add garlic, stir and cook 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes with juice and tomato sauce.
- Raise the heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Stir in milk and Parmesan cheese; do NOT boil the soup after the milk has been added.
- Stir and heat for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve at once, garnished w/ croutons if desired.
- NOTE: If you cannot find the DelMonte brand of tomatoes seasoned with basil, garlic, and oregano, use plain diced tomatoes with 1/2 teaspoon each of basil and oregano.