Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 35 mins
Another 'made from scratch' family favorite. The hardest part is cutting all of the tomatoes! I like to use Roma but any tomatoe you like will do. The half and half really adds great texture to the soup so don't cheat and add skim milk or other low fat milk. It will really take away from the great taste of the soup. The touch of cloves adds a special taste that will not be missed. A must have in this soup!
- Melt the butter with the oil over low heat in a pot.
- Add the onion; wilt over low heat for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic during the last 2 minutes, stirring.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook 3 minutes longer, stirring.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato paste, sugar, and broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover; cook over medium-low heat for 30 minutes.
- Season with cloves, salt, and pepper.
- Remove from heat.
- Purée the soup in a food processor or blender, a small portion at a time.
- Pour through a strainer into a pot.
- Stir in the half-and-half.
- Warm the soup before serving.
This is Great soup! I've enjoyed making it. I also used chicken stock and it turned out wonderful. This is the second time I made this recipe in the last two weeks. the only difference is I doubled everything to store the extra. Extremely delicious. Thank You!
Full, rich flavour blesses the taste buds in this delicious cream of tomato soup. Instead of using fresh tomatoes, I used diced ones with garlic & herbs.
This was a wonderful soup. I made this at the end of summer, so changed a few things. I used a combination of tomatoes, Roma, Black Tiger, Yellow tomatoes, and just plain tomatoes. I roasted the tomatoes with olive oil, herbs and coarse salt first @ 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Used a bit less stock and followed the recipe. I also doubled the recipe and will make another batch while my tomatoes are still fresh.