Recipe by *Parsley*
Easy to make and beats the canned tomato soup.
Top Review by LonghornMama
We loved this soup! I don't know why anyone would eat soul from a can when this is so easy and delicious. I make tomato soup often, and loved this creamy variation made with reduced fat cream cheese. I did purée the soup with a stick blender while in the pot. Served as an easy dinner with baked grilled cheese sandwiches and crudités. I'm just sorry I didn't double the recipe since the leftovers freeze really well. Skipped the bacon on top but that would be fantastic, too. Thanks for sharing the recipe!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 28 ounces crushed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1 teaspoon cilantro (optional)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- salt, as needed to taste
- 1 -2 slice bacon, cooked and crumbled, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large soup pot, over medium heat, melt butter; add onion, celery, and saute in butter until softened (about 5 minutes). Add tomatoes (un-drained), basil and cilantro; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are soft.
- *At this point puree or partially puree, if desired, or don't puree at all.*.
- Add broth and cream cheese and pepper; salt to taste; heat through.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top if desired.