Prep 10 mins
Cook 0 mins
I made Ceil in NJ's homemade ravioli and was looking for a rich but smooth sauce to accompany it. Tomato based with cheese, cream, pesto, and garlic. A great combination! This sauce is also excellent in lasagna! Easy and quick to make. A little goes a long way. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 crushed garlic cloves (more if preferred)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese
- 2 -3 teaspoons pesto sauce
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- fresh basil, to top with
- Heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté crushed garlic for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in tomato sauce.
- Add salt, pepper, and pesto.
- Add cream cheese and stir or whisk well until fully melted.
- Stir parmesan cheese until melted.
- Add cream and stir well.
I made this, exactly, for Valentine's Day over whole-wheat gnocchi. I thought it needed just a bit more garlic, but DH pronounced it "perfect." It really paired well with the gnocchi (that I served with a Caesar and bruschetta), and I will definitely make this again. I used reduced-fat cream cheese b/c it's what I had on hand, and I'll try FF half & half in the future. Great, great flavor & consistency, and this came together in a flash -- and it reheats well to boot. A winner!