Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A quick, different pasta sauce. Use whatever herbs you wish.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, peeled and chopped fine
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, pureed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground thyme
- 1⁄4 lb cream cheese
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and cook onions for about 3 minutes or until softened.
- Add tomatoes and spices and bring up to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, or until thickened.
- Whisk in softened cheese until mixture is smooth and is softly bubbling.
- Toss with cooked pasta (try penne) and serve with parmesan cheese.
I have been looking for a recipe like this for a very long time. I happened to search Recipezaar in a panic after a late day at the office. I had all the ingredients on hand except the pasta. However I had some frozen cheese tortellini. What a wonderfuly combo. I made the recipe exactly as documented except that I also pureed the onions. Some family members don't like onions. (If they don't see them, life is good). Thank you for submitting this really good and flavorful recipe. I can think of a number of ways I can serve this in the future.
This was very good--used FF cream cheese and added a few red pepper flakes just because we really happen to like it hot! The only thing was that the color freaked us out a tiny bit--we're just finicky (it's sort of pinkish). I don't know how you'd fix that! But the taste was nice! thanks for posting, lennie!