Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
A quick and easy way to dress up spaghetti. Add red pepper flakes to the browning meat if you want some zip.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb ground chicken or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lb vermicelli, cooked and drained
- fresh grated parmesan cheese
- Brown meat and onion in a large saucepan.
- Add garlic, tomatoes, herbs, sugar, salt and pepper Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream and heat through.
- Serve over pasta and top with cheese.
This is a great recipe base to go off! I did make some changes to suit my family's tastes: I added a nice Burgundy wine, some thyme (as well as your suggested herbs), and I added the parmesan cheese to the sauce as it cooked along with a few handfulls of grated mozzerella cheese to make it a real creamy delight. I will definitly use this one again. Thank you!
This worked well for us and I'll make it again. The only thing I did was skip the additional salt. We decided that some fresh mushrooms would be a tasty addition for next time.
This was interesting, I added the suggested red pepper flakes for added zip! I loved the color of the sauce, and the texture when first cooked (it did not reheat all that well), but I felt it lacked something, even though everything is right there. I think perhaps next time I make this I will use Italian sausage instead of the ground beef. I did serve this over vermecelli with fresh parmesan and garlic bread. It was very easy to put together and is great for a week night meal.