Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
From Martha Stewart Living TV show. This makes a delicious, creamy mac & cheese.
Make and share this Creamy Tomato Macaroni and Cheese recipe from Food.com.
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for dish
- 1 lb pasta elbows or 1 lb pasta, twists or 1 lb corkscrew macaroni
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt & pepper
- 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 3 cups monterey jack cheese
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 1⁄2 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup breadcrumbs (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Butter a 9 X 13 ovenproof dish.
- Cook pasta about 8 minutes; drain, run pasta under cold water for 1 minute; drain well.
- In a wide pot melt the butter; whisk in flour; cook 1 minute, whisking.
- Whisk in milk and garlic; cook over med low heat until mixture thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Season with salt& pepper.
- Add cheeses, thyme and tomatoes; stir until cheese has melted; stir in reserved pasta.
- Transfer to buttered dish; sprinkle with breadcrumbs; bake until top is golden brown, 20 to 30 minutes.