Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I am not a tomato soup fan but this is really great and very easy. The recipe is from Cafe Gondolier with some subtle changes.
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces canned diced tomatoes (do not drain)
- 1 cup low-sodium tomato juice
- 4 ounces crumbled gorgonzola
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- ground pepper
- Heat oil in a sauce pan.
- Add onions, garlic and bell pepper.
- Saute over medium high heat until onion is translucent, about 3 to four minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add cream, Gorgonzola and cream cheese, breaking cream cheese apart with a wooden spoon as you add it to the pot.
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add tomatoes and juices, tomato juice and other ingredients.
- Bring to simmer again, stirring CONSTANTLY, for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with fresh ground pepper.