Prep 0 mins
Cook 20 mins
Love the flavor of fresh tomatoes and cream!
Make and share this Creamy Tomato Bisque recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 5 large tomatoes or 1 (28 ounce) can Italian tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 -2 cup light cream
- 2 -4 tablespoons sherry wine
- In a deep saucepan, melt butter and saute onion and garlic until golden. Slice tomatoes (if using canned tomatoes, drain first) and add with dry mustard, salt, and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, 8 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste. (If tomatoes are not full-flavored, you may wish to add more paste.) Add flour and chicken broth, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Puree in a blender, then strain to remove seeds and skins. Add 1 - 2 cups light cream.
- Reheat to serve, but do not boil. add sherry to taste. This soup keeps well and may be frozen.
We thought this soup was wonderful. The flavor was rich and just perfect with toasted cheese sandwiches- perfect to usher in those chilly fall evenings. I didn't change a thing, except to omit the sherry because I had none. I will definitely use this recipe again!
Good soup. I made it as directed except that I halved the recipe. To the leftovers, I added a few red chili flakes which added a nice little zing. Thanks Jan. Made for Photo Tag.
very rich and tasty. I omitted the paste (I hate having a half can of paste molding in the fridge) and didn't miss it. Local heirloom tomatoes helped. I used a stick blender and didn't bother to strain skin or seeds.