Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I found this recipe on allrecipes a few years back. I have always used fresh from my garden tomatoes but I bet this would taste almost as good with store bought fresh tomatoes or canned (?). The most time consuming part of this recipe is preparing the tomatoes, but the result is well worth it.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 4 cups tomato juice (I use V-8)
- 14 fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- salt and pepper
- Blanche tomatoes (remove the skin) by dropping in boiling water for 10-15 seconds. Remove and immediately drop into iced cold water. Skin will peel off easily.
- Scoop out seeds and chop the tomatoes.
- Place the tomatoes and juice in a large pot over medium heat.
- Simmer for 30 minutes.
- Puree the mixture along with the basil leaves.
- Return to the cooking pot.
- Over medium-high heat, stir in the heavy cream and butter.
- Season with salt and pepper if desired.
- Heat, stirring frequently, until butter melts.