Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Something I whipped up from a combination of recipes -- really hearty and filling. Great for canned or fresh tomatoes, especially during the summer season!
- 907.18 g tomato juice
- 236.59 ml chicken broth
- 411.06 g petite diced tomatoes
- 236.59 ml heavy whipping cream
- 36.97 ml dried basil leaves
- 44.37 ml minced garlic
- 14.79 ml vegetable oil
- 59.14 ml sweet unsalted butter
- 255.14-283.49 g cheese tortellini
- Sauté minced garlic in vegetable oil until slightly browned and fragrant.
- Combine garlic with tomato juice, chicken broth, and petite diced tomatoes in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Add cheese tortellini and basil leaves, then simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Slowly add butter and heavy whipping cream, and stir continuously over low heat until heated through. DO NOT LET BOIL.
- Goes great with side salad and bread.
This recipe is so yummy. I usually make two batches at once because everyone loves it so much. The only changes I make is I double the amount of tortellinis and add some italian sausage.
My family can't get enough of this recipe! We have it at least every other week. Even my picky 4 year old eater loves it. I've shared it with a few people and they all rave about it. I don't normally like tomatoes or tomato soup but this is fantastic! We use an entire bag of frozen tortellini though and make it extra pasta-y. We think it's even better the second (or third) day! I wish it wasn't so thick though the next day and I'm considering using just cream instead of heavy cream.
Personally, I loved this soup but my husband said he wished it were creamier so I took both opinions into consideration when rating this. No question this was a great soup though!