Recipe by BB2011
From Vegetarian Times September 2009. Nutrition facts: 89 cal, 2g protein, 3g fat, 13g carbs, 4mg cholesterol, 491mg sodium, 2g fiber, 8g sugar.
Top Review by stgmngrjan
Great! Tasted better after sitting in fridge for several hours. I used chicken broth; didn't strain it after puree. I added some cooked basmati rice when serving. Added sprinkle of good parmesan. Thanks,
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
- 2 (28 ounce) cansmuir glen organic fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar or 1 teaspoon sherry wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 1⁄2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half or 1⁄2 cup soy coffee creamer
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, chopped (for garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, vinegar, basil, bay leaf, and broth. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes. Remove bay leaf.
- Puree soup in blender or food processor until smooth. Strain through fine mesh strainer into sauce pan; return to simmer. Remove from heat, and stir in half-and-half. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with basil.