Prep 10 mins
Cook 4 hrs
a spicy soup based on a Breville recipe in the slow cooker's sample recipes. I have modified this a bit - see which version you prefer.Originally it included 4 cloves garlic, 3 tsp minced chilli and you stirred 1/3 cup sun dried tomato pesto through at the end. I found this too hot. Even this version is fairly spicy but yummy! Next time I make it I will leave out the chilli altogether and just add sun dried tomato pesto.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 6 cups tinned crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (optional)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Cook onion over medium heat until golden. Add garlic and chilli and cook for about 1 minute.
- Place onion mix in slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, brown sugar and lentils.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.
- Stir in cream 1/2 hour before end of cooking, replace lid and continue to cook.
- The orginal recipe says to ladle into bowls and top with 2 tsp sundried tomato pesto. Serve hot with crusty bread.
Very tasty creamy tomato soup with some ajustments.My only problem with this recipe was the lack of salt ,so I added this to mine and the fact that it took forever to cook the lentils .I set my slow cooker on high and it took 7 hours for the lentils to become cooked. Apparently acidic foods like tomatoes make lentils take a longer time to cook in the slow cooker ,so next time, I will cook them in the broth for a few hours and then add the tomatoes.
I am currently sat tucking into this and its absolutely yummy. Only made a couple of changes, I didn't put any garlic in as I was out of it and I completely forgot the sugar.I used passata instead of tomato paste. However its still yummy , will definitely make again but next time will add the garlic and the sugar and maybe reduce the amount of chili flakes slightly as its got quite a kick. Thanks for sharing, this is a keeper
I made this without the red pepper and found it really bland - after I added some pepper, I found it added the heat, but not much in the flavour department. The soup was eatable, but can't say I enjoyed it overmuch.