a spicy soup based on a Breville recipe in the slow cooker's sample recipes. I have modified this a bit - see which version you prefer.Originally it included 4 cloves garlic, 3 tsp minced chilli and you stirred 1/3 cup sun dried tomato pesto through at the end. I found this too hot. Even this version is fairly spicy but yummy! Next time I make it I will leave out the chilli altogether and just add sun dried tomato pesto.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium Spanish onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 6 cups tinned crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups red lentils
- 1 1⁄4 cups cream
- 1⁄3 cup sun-dried tomato pesto (optional)
- Heat oil in a non stick pan. Cook onion over medium heat until golden. Add garlic and chilli and cook for about 1 minute.
- Place onion mix in slow cooker. Stir in tomatoes, stock, tomato paste, brown sugar and lentils.
- Cover with lid and cook on LOW 6-8 hours or HIGH 4 hours.
- Stir in cream 1/2 hour before end of cooking, replace lid and continue to cook.
- The orginal recipe says to ladle into bowls and top with 2 tsp sundried tomato pesto. Serve hot with crusty bread.