Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
the tofu in this chowder provides a richness surprisingly similar to that of cream without the fat and calories. You and your guests will never know! Source: Gourmet Magazine, 1992
- 3⁄4 cup onion, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon all-purpose flour
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 3⁄4 cup soft tofu or 3⁄4 cup silken tofu, drained
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄2 lb bay scallop, rinsed well
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, minced
- Cook the onion in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Add flour and cook for one minute.
- Add half the chicken broth, bring to a boil and add the cucumber.
- Puree with tofu and lemon juice in a blender or with a stick blender.
- Place the rest of the broth in another pot and heat to a simmer and add the scallops for 3 minutes.
- Add all the contents together with the dill. Add salt/pepper (white preferred) to taste.
- Heat without boiling the chowder and serve.