This is the enchilada recipe my mom used when I was growing up. It is different in that is uses cream cheese. Oh it is so yummy....the memories just flood back. I believe it comes from a Pace Picante Tex Mex recipe. I like to serve it with my Lone Star Spanish Rice. Check it out in my recipes.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine
- 3 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 1/2-2 cups salsa or 1 1/2-2 cups picante sauce, divided
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 cups shredded monterey jack cheese or 3 cups cheddar cheese
- 16 corn tortillas
- vegetable oil
- 1Saute onion in butter until tender but not brown.
- 2Stir in chicken, 1/2 cup salsa, cream cheese, and cumin; heat through.
- 3Remove from heat; stir in 1 cup shredded cheese.
- 4Heat about 1/2 inch oil in skillet until hot. Quickly fry each tortilla in oil to soften; drain on paper towels.
- 5Spoon 1/3 cup mixture down center of each tortilla and sprinkle a little bit of cheese.
- 6Spread enough picante sauce or salsa to cover bottom of lightly greased 9x13 pan.
- 7Place enchiladas in pan and spoon salsa over top.
- 8Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- 9Bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Tex Mex Chicken Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (239 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 664.5
- Calories from Fat 372
- Total Fat 41.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.4 g
- Cholesterol 154.3 mg
- Sodium 913.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 38.5 g