Recipe by Caroline Cooks
Sauteed scallops in rich creamy tarragon sauce on bed of smashed potatoes and steamed fresh spinach. Great for a romantic twosome or dinner party! This serves two; can multiply for more. (Will post photo when published)
Top Review by Jakie's Mom
Since I work full-time, I'm always looking for good, quick meals to serve. This was very easy and very tasty. I served it with rice instead of potatoes, and spooned the scallops and sauce over both the rice and spinach.
- 1 large potato, peeled, cut into 1 inch pieces
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 -4 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- 3⁄4-1 cup half-and-half, divided
- 10 -12 sea scallops
- 10 -12 whole baby spinach leaves, stems removed
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1⁄8 cup dry white wine
- 3 tablespoons yellow onions, chopped finely
- 1⁄4 cup half-and-half
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried tarragon or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fresh tarragon, if you have it
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil until potatoes are tender, about 8 minutes.
- Return to pot.
- Smash potatoes.
- Stir in 1 tablespoons butter. Stir in Half and Half and ½ teas. tarragon into warm smashed potatoes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Set aside and keep warm.
- Steam spinach leaves and keep warm.
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in cast iron or heavy skillet over medium-high heat.
- Dry scallops and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Add scallops; sauté until just opaque in center, about 2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to plate; tent with foil.
- Reserve juices in skillet.
- Sauté onions in skillet until softened; add garlic, then wine.
- Deglaze skillet.
- Simmer over medium heat until absorbed, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to MED-LOW.
- Stir in about 1/2 cup Half and Half and 1 teas. tarragon; simmer 1-2 minute to thicken.
- Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.
- To serve: Divide and place steamed spinach on top smashed potatoes on two warmed plates.
- Divide scallops and place on spinach.
- Divide sauce over all.