Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
chicken served on a bed of creamy tarragon vegetables with celeriac mash
Make and share this Creamy Tarragon Chicken With Celeriac Mash recipe from Food.com.
- olive oil
- 4 chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 stick celery, chopped
- 150 g spinach, washed and cut down
- 7.39 ml chicken stock
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 118.29 ml dry white wine
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 236.59 ml water
- 236.59 ml cream
- 22.18 ml double cream
- 9.85 ml cornflour
- 4.92 ml Dijon mustard
- 29.58 ml tarragon, finely chopped
- 44.37 ml parmesan cheese
For the mash
- 2 kg celeriac
- 20 g butter
- 2.46 ml chicken stock
- 118.29 ml parmesan cheese
- 59.14 ml cream
- Method for chicken.
- Heat a small amount of oil in a large fry pan add onion, garlic and celery cook until soft. Add water, wine, stock powder and lemon juice stir until heated. Mix a little water with the cornflour and add stir until mixture thickens.
- I add the cornflour at this point, before the cream, so the cream does not curdle from all the acidity of the lemon juice and wine. So the mixture will be quite thick, this is fine as it balances out when the cream is added.
- Add both creams and Dijon stir to combine. Boil or microwave chopped carrot until tender. Add spinach to cream mixture and stir until soft, add the carrots and the tarragon and stir until heated through. Serve immediately.
- For the chicken breasts heat an oiled pan add chicken and cook until browned on both sides and cooked through. This can be cooking while your making the Tarragon sauce so everything is ready to go at the same time.
- For the Celeriac Mash.
- Peel (making sure all tough brown grainy outer skin has been removed) and chop celeriac into cubes place in a saucepan covered with water, add some lemon juice to the water this helps to stop the browning of the vegetable. Cook until tender and drain.
- Place celeriac in a large bowl add butter, chicken stock and cream blend until smooth with no lumps. (you can do this in a blender if preferred, I have a handheld bar mix) Add Parmesan in 2 lots blending as you add. If the cheese doesn't melt all the way through you can finish off in the microwave. Cream can be adjusted if the mixture seems a little thick just add a touch more cream. The end result should have a smooth creamy consistency that similar to creamy mash potato.
- To serve place a few spoonfuls of the creamy vegetable, tarragon mixture onto a plate, place chicken on top, pour a little more sauce over the top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Place mash to the side, I like to pipe my mash out of a bag with a nice piping head in three small mounds,not necessary it just looks nicer.
- For a photo visit http://the-best-recipes.blogspot.com/.
Loved this, made last night as something a little different for the family! Very straightforward, I did add my carrots with the onion and celery as otherwise they don't seem to soften enough for our taste if added later. I used whole-grain mustard since that was what I had, and I omitted the spinach, personally I love it but the children are not great fans. Since we are not big meat eaters, I used three breasts, cubed them, and cooked them as directed in the recipe, I then added them to the sauce before serving. We loved this rich creamy tangy sauce, which wonderfully complemented the chicken and the accompanying mash (also so good! loved it!) Thank you for a delicious meal, my family are not used to being so spoiled on a weekday night, I know that I'm going to be asked for this again!