Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a simple dish to prepare, which is a real plus for all you busy parents with hectic week-night schedules. And I think--or at least I hope--you'll agree that the combination of ingredients form a well-rounded taste sensation with a delectable tarragon cream sauce to serve over your tender chicken breasts. And you can even use the extra sauce to drizzle over a side dish of fresh asparagus or other vegetable dish. Prep time does NOT include the 3 hours of marinating the chicken breasts in the refrigerator (because marinating time can be reduced if you are short on time).
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 tablespoon dried tarragon leaves
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- low sodium salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 shallots, minced (or 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon leaves
- In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tablespooons Dijon mustard and 1/2 tablespoon tarragon leaves. Rub the mixture over the chicken breasts. Place chicken breasts in a covered dish (or in a plastic zip-lock bag) and keep chilled in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, add the flour to a shallow dish; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Dredge the chicken in the seasoned flour. Brown the chicken on both sides in the heated skillet. Cover, and continue cooking the chicken for about 15 minutes, turn and cook other side about 10 minutes or until chicken is thoroughly cooked and juices run clear. Transfer chicken to a platter, and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, sauté the minced shallots (or red onion), garlic, and mushroom slices for about 3 or 4 minutes or until onions are soft.
- Deglaze the pan by adding the wine, cream, mustard and tarragon to the onion/garlic mixture. Stir frequently, scraping the pan to loosen bits of chicken that might remain, and cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Return chicken to skillet just long enough (about a minute or so) to coat with the cream sauce.
- Place chicken breasts on individual plates, and drizzle remaining sauce over the chicken.
Served everybody seconds because I love an encore presentation with standing ovation.
We all enjoyed this- I doubled the sauce because I had more chicken than the recipe called for. Thank you!
Very tasty, this made a quick midweek meal that would be a great choice for a dinner party. I was out of mushrooms and only let the mustard and tarragon sit on the chicken for about 45 mins. before cooking. Thank for sharing, I'll be making this again! Made for ZWT 8 by one of The Wild Bunch.