Recipe by bert
This is a deliciously light dessert that I have made many times. It has always gone over well.
- 1⁄4 cup quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Strawberry Wine Sauce
- 2 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 pint strawberry
- 1⁄2 cup red port wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine tapioca, 1/4 cup of the sugar, salt and egg yolks in a med size saucepan.
- Stir in milk.
- Let stand 5 minutes to soften tapioca.
- Cook tapioca mixture over med heat, stirring constantly, about 6 minutes, or until thick& bubbly.
- Remove from hear; stir in vanilla; cover surface with Saran Wrap.
- Chill until cold.
- Prepare the strawberry wine sauce by combining tapioca, sugar and water in a small saucepan.
- Cook until thickened, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Reserve 6 whole strawberries for garnish, if you wish.
- Wash, hull and pat remaining berries dry on paper towel.
- Halve or slice, if large, into tapioca mixture.
- Stir in wine.
- Cover and chill until cold.
- Just before serving, beat egg whites until foamy.
- Gradually beat in remaining 1/4 cup sugar, a tbsp at a time until meringue forms soft peaks.
- Stir chilled tapioca until softened; fold in meringue until no streaks of white remain.
- Spoon into stemmed glasses; top with sauce.
- Garnish with a dollop of whipped cream and reserved whole strawberries.