Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
From Milk website.
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3 cups quartered thinly-sliced onions
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons instant chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3⁄4 cups milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded swiss cheese or 1 1⁄2 cups cheddar cheese, divided
- buttered crouton
- salt and pepper
- Melt butter in large saucepan; sauté onions over medium heat about 10 minutes. Stir in water and broth mix. Bring to boil. Cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Smoothly combine flour and milk. Add to saucepan.
- Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Remove from heat. Add 3/4 cup of the Canadian Swiss cheese; stir until melted. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Ladle into 4 oven-proof soup bowls; sprinkle with Buttered Croutons. Top with remaining cheese.
- Broil until cheese is melted. Serve.
This was really simple to make following the directions as written. I reduced this down to only 1 serving and used gruyere cheese. Bird really enjoyed the cheese inside the soup instead of only having the cheese on top. Overall a very nice soup. Thank you for posting. ~Buddha
This turned out to be a delicious and comforting soup. It was easy enough to make and I just love the buttery croutons. A great recipe!