1/1 Photo of Creamy Swiss Onion Soup
1 hr 5 mins
Nicole Brummett's Note:
I got this recipe from Quick Cooking Magazine a couple of years ago. This is delicious and pretty easy to make. Great for onion soup lovers and fancy dinners.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 1/2 cups day-old bread, cubed
- 3 large onions, quartered & thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 4 1/2 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 3/4 cups milk, divided
- 1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese, divided
- fresh minced chives (optional) or fresh minced parsley (optional)
- 1Melt 3 tablespoons of butter; toss with bread cubes.
- 2Place on a lightly greased baking sheet.
- 3Bake at 350° for 7 minutes; turn and bake 7 minutes longer or until toasted.
- 4Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, sauté onions in remaining butter until lightly browned, about 12 minutes.
- 5Stir in water and bouillon; bring to a boil.
- 6Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 7Combine flour and 1/2 cup of milk until smooth; gradually stir into onion mixture.
- 8Stir in remaining milk.
- 9Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes, stirring until thickened.
- 10Reduce heat to low; stir in 3/4 cup Swiss cheese and pepper.
- 11Ladle into 4 oven proof bowls; sprinkle with reserved croutons and remaining cheese.
- 12Broil 4 inches from heat until cheese is melted and bubbly.
- 13Garnish with chives.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Swiss Onion Soup
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1049.4
- Calories from Fat 654
- Total Fat 72.7 g
- Saturated Fat 45.3 g
- Cholesterol 211.8 mg
- Sodium 1876.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 12.9 g
- Protein 36.6 g