Suitable for a light lunch or as an appetizer, this soup is full of flavour. Substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock if you want soup to be vegetarian or kosher.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 mcintosh apples, peeled,cored and diced
- 1 medium onion, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons liquid honey (preferably a dark honey, like buckwheat)
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh sage
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (preferably kosher)
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 cups cubed sweet potatoes (peel sweet potatoes before cubing)
- 1 cup 18% cream
- 1 cup frozen baby peas (petite)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 1In a large soup pot, over medium heat, melt the butter, then add apples, onion and garlic to pot; saute for approximately 5 minutes or until onions start to soften.
- 2Drizzle honey over mixture, then stir in vinegar.
- 3Add all spices and herbs (sage through to black pepper) and stir well to combine, then add stock and sweet potatoes.
- 4Turn heat to high and bring soup to a boil.
- 5Once boiling, turn heat down to medium-low, cover pot, and simmer until the sweet potato cubes are tender (approximately 30 minutes); stir soup often.
- 6Once the sweet potatoes have softened, turn heat off and briefly let soup cool.
- 7Puree soup, in batches if necessary, in a blender or food processor (pureeing piping hot soup can be dangerous); once done, return pureed soup to pot.
- 8Stir in cream and frozen baby peas.
- 9Over low heat, uncovered, heat soup through; be careful not to let it boil as the cream could curdle.
- 10When completely heated through, ladle into soup bowls and serve.
- 11Garnish each bowl with a teaspoon of minced fresh cilantro, if desired.
Browse Our Top Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yam/Sweet Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Sweet Potato Soup With Baby Peas
Serving Size: 1 (413 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.2
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 54.3 mg
- Sodium 246.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 19.0 g
- Protein 7.5 g