Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 min
This soup has a natural sweet flavor from the sweet potatoes and carrots.
- 1892.72 ml water
- 9.85 ml cut leaf thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 709.77 ml onions, diced
- 1419.54 ml yams or 1419.54 ml sweet potatoes, diced
- 473.18 ml yams or 473.18 ml sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick half circles
- 473.18 ml celery, thinly sliced
- 473.18 ml russet potatoes, chopped
- 236.59 ml carrot, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 9.85 ml basil
- 4.92 ml tarragon
- 283.49 g package frozen peas, rinsed under hot water to thaw
- 29.58 ml fresh parsley, minced
- 236.59 ml sour cream
- 118.29 ml milk
- 29.58 ml dried chives
- salt and pepper
- Bring water, thyme, bay leaves, onions, and diced yams to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium and cook, covered about 30 minutes, until sweet potatoes begin to break down and form a broth.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add celery and russet potato, and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- Add sweet potato half circles, carrots, basil, and tarragon.
- Lower heat and simmer, covered until veggie pieces are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Add peas and parsley, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Turn burner to lowest heat.
- Blend sour cream and milk together in blender container, and add to soup along with salt, pepper, and chives.
- Heat gently, stirring often, until soup is hot but not boiling.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.