This soup has a natural sweet flavor from the sweet potatoes and carrots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups water
- 2 teaspoons cut leaf thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cups onions, diced
- 6 cups yams or 6 cups sweet potatoes, diced
- 2 cups yams or 2 cups sweet potatoes, cut into 1/4-inch thick half circles
- 2 cups celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cups russet potatoes, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- 2 teaspoons basil
- 1 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen peas, rinsed under hot water to thaw
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons dried chives
- salt and pepper
- 1Bring water, thyme, bay leaves, onions, and diced yams to a boil.
- 2Lower heat to medium and cook, covered about 30 minutes, until sweet potatoes begin to break down and form a broth.
- 3Stir occasionally.
- 4Add celery and russet potato, and continue cooking 10 minutes.
- 5Add sweet potato half circles, carrots, basil, and tarragon.
- 6Lower heat and simmer, covered until veggie pieces are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- 7Add peas and parsley, and simmer 5 minutes.
- 8Turn burner to lowest heat.
- 9Blend sour cream and milk together in blender container, and add to soup along with salt, pepper, and chives.
- 10Heat gently, stirring often, until soup is hot but not boiling.
- 11Adjust seasonings to taste.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Sweet Potato Soup
Serving Size: 1 (4743 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 630.4
- Calories from Fat 121
- Total Fat 13.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.5 g
- Cholesterol 34.1 mg
- Sodium 246.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 116.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 19.3 g
- Sugars 15.0 g
- Protein 13.6 g