Recipe by patriciamercer84
a better creamier sweet potato casserole not dulled down with spices that really lets you have a great sweet potato flavor.
- 5 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch chunks
- 6 tablespoons heavy cream
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- 1 (10 ounce) package marshmallows, halved crosswise
Directions See How It's Made
- 1. COOK POTATOES Combine potatoes, cream, butter, sugar, salt, and pepper in Dutch oven. Cook covered, stirring occasionally, over medium heat until potatoes begin to break down, 20 to 25 minutes.
- 2. SIMMER POTATOES Reduce heat to medium-low and continue to cook, covered, until liquid has been absorbed and potatoes are completely tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Meanwhile, adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees.
- 3. MASH POTATOES Add cream cheese to pot. Using potato masher, mash until cream cheese is fully incorporated and sweet potatoes are smooth or if you prefer silky-smooth potatoes, use a hand mixer to beat the potatoes. Continue to cook, stirring constantly, until potatoes are thickened, about 5 minutes.
- 4. TOAST MARSHMALLOWS Transfer potato mixture to 2-quart baking dish and top with single layer marshmallows. Bake until marshmallows are browned, about 5 minutes. Serve.
- MAKE AHEAD: After transferring sweet potato mixture to baking dish, mixture can be refrigerated, covered, up to 2 days. Microwave until warm for 4 to 7 minutes before topping with marshmallows and baking as directed.