Prep 20 mins
Cook 24 hrs
Great on burgers or anything you would put onions on. Have no idea where grandma got this one.
- 3 cups onions (5 large onions thinly sliced)
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- salt & pepper
- Place onions in a large bowl.
- In a sauce pan combine next 4 ingredents and bring to a boil.
- Pour over onions.
- Cool 10-15 minutes.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Drain onions, discarding liquid.
- In a bowl combine sour cream, mayo & celery seed until creamy.
- Add onions and toss to coat.