Prep 5 mins
Cook 35 mins
This makes a great appetizer soup. Easy to make.
- 44.37 ml unsalted butter
- 2 large vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
- 44.37 ml flour
- 236.59 ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 118.29 ml white wine
- 0.59 ml black pepper
- 0.59 ml paprika
- 1.23 ml dried basil
- 236.59 ml light cream (or milk)
- salt, if needed, to taste
- chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter; add onions and sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring often, or until onions start to brown. Scrape browned pieces from bottom; stir.
- Reduce heat and add flour; stir briskly to dissolve.
- Add broth, wine, pepper, paprika, and basil; stir well and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in cream (or milk); heat through. Salt to taste; if needed.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley (optional).
Very nice creamy soup and extremely easy to make.
I admit to 2 additions, I added a little fresh minced garlic; and some fresh thyme, just because I love thyme with onions.
I had to roast some onions for another dish that day, so I did use 1/2 raw onions and 1/2 roasted. It gave it a great flavor. However, it would of been fine without the added roasted onions.
As suggested I used light cream and everything else was exactly as written. The garlic was my taste and I did sample the soup prior to adding the thyme and it was wonderful as is. I just like the bit of added flavor (personal preference).
What a nice light, but tasty soup. Thx Parsley!!
I had some serious doubts about this recipe at first, but they were completely dispelled once I took my first spoonful! Creamy and extremely flavorful. I even used low fat milk and about 1 tablespoon butter! (I also substituted bouquet garni herbs for the basil, which I ran out of.) The sweet onions added to the flavor, and the broth, while thick, did not have that floury taste that sometimes comes through. I liked this so much I ate the leftovers for breakfast at work the next day:) Definitely deserves to be made again, and it was a cinch to make too. Thanks!