This makes a great appetizer soup. Easy to make.
Make and share this Creamy Sweet Onion Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large vidalia onions, coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup light cream (or milk)
- salt, if needed, to taste
- chopped parsley, for garnish (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter; add onions and sauté for 7-10 minutes, stirring often, or until onions start to brown. Scrape browned pieces from bottom; stir.
- Reduce heat and add flour; stir briskly to dissolve.
- Add broth, wine, pepper, paprika, and basil; stir well and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in cream (or milk); heat through. Salt to taste; if needed.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley (optional).