Prep 5 mins
Cook 31 mins
The starch in the calrose sushi rice, a medium grain rice, makes this a very creamy rice pudding. Look in the Asian section of your supermarket for calrose variety rice. Walmart also carries calrose rice. Calrose is a variety of rice, not a name brand.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (use calrose sushi rice)
- 2 cups milk, divided use
- 1⁄2 cup granulated sugar (add more or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2⁄3 cup raisins
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a 2-qt covered saucepan, heat 2-cups of water to boiling. Stir in rice, adjust heat to a low simmer, stir rice once more, cover pan and simmer rice for 20 minutes without peeking.
- When rice is done, in another pan, or in microwave, heat 1-1/2 cups of milk almost to a simmer. Stir in sugar and vanilla.
- Add the 1-1/2 cups of heated milk/sugar to rice and simmer for 6 minutes, stirring frequently. Make sure and stir the rice on the bottom of pan to avoid scorching.
- Stir in raisins and simmer for another 3 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup of milk with beaten egg and salt.
- Add milk/egg mixture to rice and simmer for 2-minutes, stirring frequently.
- Stir in butter and serve warm or chilled. Brown sugar and/or cinnamon may be sprinkled on top of served rice pudding.