Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
A nice twist to the basic succotash recipe. Found in Family Circle.
- 10 ounces frozen lima beans
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 slices bacon, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 large green pepper, cored, seeded and chopped
- 4 cups fresh corn kernels
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, each cut in half
- 1⁄2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Cook lima beans according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In large nonstick skillet, add butter and bacon.
- Cook over medium-high heat until bacon starts to brown, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in onion and green pepper and cook 10 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add corn, broth, salt, pepper and cooked lima beans; simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in cream, tomatoes and parsley and heat through.
This is a wonderful dish and it all started out with "What is succotash?" So like always I started at this web site. This is now a family fovorite, I had to make copies of this recipe after dinner because everyone wanted it. My advice print out several copies and just be ready to hand them out.
A real winner - I loved the effect the cream, butter and bacon had on the succotash....I made enough to last a couple of days and just ate some for lunch with my chicken cutlets. Thanks.
I'm making it for Christmas dinner. It's not the traditional family recipe so I'm going out on a limb based on reviews..UPDATE~served it to about 15 people at family Christmas dinner amid rave reviews, although one family member after saying she "liked" it, followed by saying the "old" family standard was still her favorite. When I need Succotash again, this will be the one I make!