Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a take on Alton Brown's recipe. I experimented with the proportions because I did not like the gritty/ greasy texture from the original recipe. This recipe is absolutely creamy and delicious and lower calorie than Alton Brown's!
- 1 lb macaroni
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 12 ounces evaporated milk (1 can)
- 1 teaspoon salt (kosher is best)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 12 ounces sharp cheddar cheese
- 4 teaspoons flour
- In a large pot of boiling, salted water cook the pasta to al dente and drain.
- Whisk together the eggs, egg yolks, milk, hot sauce, salt, pepper, and mustard. Stir into the pasta and add the cheese. Over low heat continue to stir for 3 minutes or until creamy.
I had a hunch that 1 tsp of hot sauce (I used Tabasco) would be too much, but I made the recipe as directed. Since I don't like foods that are too spicy, my hunch was right. Next time I will try 1/4 tsp and adjust as needed.<br/><br/>The creaminess of the sauce was great! I used fat-free evaporated milk and salt substitute instead of salt and this turned out well. I also used a block of sharp cheddar and shredded it for this recipe.<br/><br/>Since I am trying to reduce fat and sodium, I will try this again, and may use some reduced fat cheddar with the block/shredded sharp cheddar to try to lower the fat. Great, easy & quick recipe!!
I found the cheddar flavor to be overpowering. I will admit I am not a sharp cheddar fan so others may enjoy this more than I did. The creamy consistency however is perfect. Not greasy or lumpy at all. I may try this again with a mild or medium cheddar.