Prep 10 mins
Cook 55 hrs
Wonderful comfort food without the milk.
- 3 cups water, divided
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup short-grain rice
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, loosely packed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1⁄3 cup currants or 1⁄3 cup raisins, washed
- In large saucepan, bring 2 cups of the water and cinnamon stick to a boil over high heat.
- Stir in rice and return to a boil; reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 35 - 40 minutes, or until rice is very tender and water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the remaining 1 cup water, apple juice, brown sugar, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Cook, covered, over low heat until rice is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Beat in eggs and currants (or raisins). Cook, stirring, until thickened and creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- For best flavor, serve warm.
- *** another variation used orange juice instead of apple juice.