Cook1 hr 30 mins
You could make this using all milk but it will not be as creamy. For coconut rice pudding, use one 400-ml can good quality coconut milk and 3/4 cup milk. This complete recipe may easily be doubled, adjust the amount of sugar to suit taste, if you are planning to serve this rice pudding cold then add in another 1/4 cup milk, to serve warm make as stated.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup 18% table cream (or use 1 cup half and half cream)
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon cinnamon (or use 1 cinnamon stick, can use both!)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup uncooked short-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup raisins (to taste) (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons white sugar (or to taste)
- Melt butter in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Add in milk, cream, cinnamon and the nutmeg (if using) bring to a simmer, sirring constantly.
- Add in rice and raisins then mix in sugar (start with 2 tablespoons adding in more to taste).
- Reduce the heat to the LOWEST setting and simmer uncovered on top of the stove for about 1 hour or until desired consistency, stirring very frequently.
- This will thicken up even more upon standing.
- Serve warm.