Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
My family's favorite macaroni and cheese - cooked on top of the stove rather than baked! It's flavor is enhanced by the addition of prepared mustard. Little children love it because it's so creamy and cheese-y. For potlucks, make ahead and reheat in microwave, stirring, just before carrying to dinner.
- In skillet on medium heat, melt butter; quickly whisk in flour to form a paste.
- Immediately add milk, whisking constantly, to form a smooth medium white sauce.
- Cook until mixture gnently boils and sauce thickens, adding a little more milk to make the sauce the consistency of gravy.
- Add mustard and cheese, stirring to mix.
- Cook until cheese melts and sauce is creamy.
- Reduce heat to low and add macaroni, stirring to mix well and heat macaroni.
I made this twice in the last few weeks. It's very good and creamy, and the mustard adds a nice color as well as flavor. The first time didn't work out too well for me. The sauce was too hot, and the pan was still over the burner when I added the cheese, and I since learned not to do that. The second time I only used about a teaspoon of mustard for our taste. I also added the sauce to the macaroni, and then added the cheese, 1/2 cup at a time, to the macaroni mixture. This worked out very well. I only used 2 cups of extra sharp cheese in the macaroni, and then covered the top with a layer of cheese and put it under the broiler for a melted/brown/bubbly cheesy top. Everyone enjoyed this a lot.
This was ok. The mustard was a little overpowering.
this recipe saved dinner tonight. It was fast and easy and very cheesy.