Recipe by Impera_Magna
Posted for Cookgirl!
Top Review by COOKGIRl
I was out of regular grits and had to substitute quick-cooking. I reduced the cooking time by half and skipped Step #5 entirely. The salt was omitted, too because Parmesan supplies enough sodium for this recipe. We thought this was an outstanding grits dish and couldn't stop eating it. The only other change was adding about 1/4 cup finely minced onion instead of 2 tablespoons. Thank you for posting this recipe!
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons onions
- 1 2⁄3 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons half-and-half cream or 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 cup grits (white or yellow stone-ground grits, NOT quick-cook)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (light or regular)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- white pepper
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup green onion (tops only)
Directions See How It's Made
- Sauté onion in butter.
- Add chicken stock and half and half; bring to a boil.
- Whisk in the grits. Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in cream cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Continue to simmer 1-2 minutes longer until grits are creamy.
- Stir in Parmesan cheese and green onions. Serve immediately or cover and keep warm.