Recipe by SJG3483
This is a thick, delicious vegetarian soup. Enjoy it on a cold night. You can use squash instead of sweet potatoes if you want.
Top Review by MelanieD
Great recipe! I made the following adjustments based on what I had in the house and it worked well: - yogurt instead of half-n-half - frozen instead of fresh spinach - dry instead of fresh dill (added at the beginning)
- 2 cups dried split peas, sorted and rinsed (1 pound)
- 6 cups water
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cups chopped spinach leaves
- 1 cup half-and-half (or milk for a lighter version)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
- 1⁄2 cup dry sherry (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix peas, water, sherry sweet potatoes, onion, garlic, and salt in a 4 quart crockpot.
- Cover and cook on low for 10-11 hours until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in spinach, half and half, and dill.
- Cover and cook on low for 30 minutes or until spinach is wilted.
- Season with pepper.