Gourmet Magazine gets the credit for this easy but impressive salmon recipe. Use the best quality cheese you can find for this dish.
- 1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, room temperature (about 4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup goat cheese, room temperature
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 6 (7 ounce) salmon fillets, with skin (each about 1 inch thick)
- olive oil
- 1 2⁄3 cups fresh breadcrumbs, from french bread with crust
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Squeeze spinach completely dry.
- Place in small bowl and mix in cream cheese, mascarpone, and ground nutmeg.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Cut one 3/4-inch-deep, 2 1/2-inch-long slit down center of top side of each salmon fillet, forming pocket for spinach mixture.
- Fill each slit with spinach mixture, dividing equally among salmon fillets.
- (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover and chill.) Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Brush rimmed baking sheet with olive oil.
- Sprinkle salmon fillets with salt and pepper.
- Mix breadcrumbs, melted butter, and Parmesan cheese in medium bowl.
- Top each salmon fillet with breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere.
- Place salmon fillets, skin side down, on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake salmon until opaque in center, about 12 minutes.
- Transfer to plates and serve.