1/2 Photos of Creamy Spinach Soup
I like spinach. Luckily it is also a great source of iron which can be lacking in vegetarian diets. For the maximum Iron boost from this soup serve it with a glass of OJ the Vitamin C aids Iron uptake. From BBC good food magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 50 g butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped into chunks
- 450 ml vegetable stock
- 600 ml milk
- 450 g fresh spinach, washed if necessary and roughly chopped
- 1/2 lemon, zest of, finely grated
- freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 3 tablespoons double cream, to serve
- 1Melt the butter in a large lidded saucepan, add the onion and garlic and fry gently for 5-6 minutes until softening.
- 2Stir in the potato and continue to cook gently for 1 minute.
- 3Pour in the stock and simmer for 8-10 minutes until the potato starts to cook.
- 4Pour in the milk and bring up to a simmer, then stir in half the spinach and the lemon zest.
- 5Cover and simmer for 15 minutes until the spinach has completely wilted down. Allow to cool for about 5 minutes.
- 6Pour the soup into a blender (preferably) or food processor, add the remaining spinach (this will keep the soup bright green and fresh tasting) and process until silky smooth (The soup may now be frozen for up to 1 month. Defrost in the microwave or overnight in the fridge.)
- 7Return to the pan and reheat. Taste and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. You may like to dilute the soup with a little extra stock if too thick. Ladle the soup into bowls and swirl in the cream.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Creamy Spinach Soup
Serving Size: 1 (365 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 302.2
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.4 g
- Cholesterol 62.6 mg
- Sodium 240.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 23.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 9.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
lemons, zest of