Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This idea came from a Chicken Canneloni recipe that we tried and enjoyed (#113305). I thought the sauce would make an excellent base for a soup, and it really does! Also very good reheated. Times are estimated - I was paying more attention to ingredients than time!
- 1 lb boneless chicken breast
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 3⁄4 cup dry white wine, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 (10 ounce) package fresh spinach, chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 2 cups mozzarella-provolone cheese blend
- nutmeg, to taste
- salt, to taste
- 1 -2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- seasoned croutons, for garnish (optional)
- In saucepan,cook chicken in stock, 1/2 cup of the wine, along with the onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, just until done.
- Remove chicken; set aside both chicken and broth to cool.
- When cooled, chop chicken into small bite-sized pieces.
- In large soup pot, create a roux by melting butter and adding flour, whisking constantly to prevent burning; cook until it smells slightly "nutty."
- Slowly whisk in broth mixture, remaining 1/4 cup wine, milk, and half-and-half; simmer lightly until soup thickens slightly.
- Add cheese a handful at a time, making sure each addition is completely melted before adding more.
- Check for seasoning, add a pinch of nutmeg.
- Add chopped chicken and spinach; simmer until spinach is wilted, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar and serve with croutons.
This is a great recipe! I didn't use chicken, and I replaced the white wine for red (b/c that was all I had in stock!), added a few extra cloves of garlic, a couple mushrooms, and semi-pureed the soup. It has a great flavor, and so creamy! Thanks for the recipe!
This was one of the best soups I've made this winter! Very Creamy & tasty! I cut the recipe in half since it was only for 2 people. I added a little bit more cheese to make it extra thick & cheesy. Also added a little corn starch mixed with water(about 1/4 cup and it came out extra thick, rich & creamy! A must try recipe if you love yummy creamy,cheesy rich tasting soups!