Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a great healthy Choice meal from "Saltscapes" -
- 1 cup penne rigate, whole wheat, raw
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 300 g boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 medium red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, sliced
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄4 cup medium cheddar, 19% MF, shredded
- In large pot of boiling water, cook pasta until tender, but firm; drain.
- As pasta is cooking, heat 1 teaspoons oil in a skillet. Add chicken and sauté 3-4 minutes or until almost cooked. Add red and orange peppers and spinach; sauté for another 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in lemon juice. Transfer mixture to a bowl and set aside.
- In the same pot used for pasta, heat remaining oil (2 tsp.) over medium heat; blend in flour. Add garlic, milk and pepper. Cook, whisking constantly until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Add cheese and stir until blended.
- Add pasta, chicken and vegetables to sauce; stir until combined.
Love love loved this! Just like comfort food without the guilt, and beautiful for leftovers too!