Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Fresh tender spinach sauteed in butter with chillies and enriched with cream. Very quick and simply delicious. You can use regular butter in place of the ghee. TIP: Deep fried cottage cheese or tofu cubes can be added to the spinach just before all the water has dried up. Cover and keep warm so that the cottage cheese or tofu cubes are soft. Mix in the cream just before serving.
- 2 tablespoons ghee (clarified butter)
- 4 dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 2 green chilies, split
- 600 g spinach
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons cream
- fresh coriander, finely chopped, to garnish (optional)
- Heat the clarified butter in a heavy-based pan. Add the whole dry red chillies and fry until they darken.
- Add the ginger and fry till it is light brown. Add the green chillies and fry briefly.
- Add the chopped spinach, sugar, salt and mix well on high heat.
- Cook uncovered on medium-high heat stirring frequently for about 20 minutes or until the spinach is cooked and dry.
- Mix in the cream.
- Garnish with chopped fresh coriander and serve with jasmine rice, roti or chapati bread.