Prep 6 mins
Cook 20 mins
A light sauce tortellini dish that is flavored with garlic and basil. The spinach and tomato add body and color.
- 1 lb uncooked fresh, frozen cheese tortellini or 1 lb uncooked fresh, frozen cheese tortellini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (9 ounce) package frozen spinach, thawed
- 1 cup cubed seeded tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese or 1⁄4 cup grated romano cheese
- Cook tortellini to desired doneness as directed on the package.
- Drain and keep warm.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in large skillet over medium heat until hot.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook until tender and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add spinach, salt, and pepper; cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the whipping cream and cheese; cook until the mixture just comes to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low stir in cooked tortellini.
- Cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese.
Took to long to prepare for such a little flavor.
My husband and I liked this fairly well, but we both thought that there was too much spinach in it. Next time I will probably use about 1/2 the spinach. We're not big fans of parmesan so I used a monterey jack and cheddar blend and the dish turned out pretty good.
Very nice, healthy dish! I used drained canned tomatoes because I didn't have fresh on hand. I sprinkled a little crushed red pepper flakes in too. Will make this again. Thanks, Carole in Orlando